Catching efficiency of multifilament trammel nets with different twisted twine for shrimp fishing in Kotabaru, Indonesia
363 - 368,
Fishing experiments were carried out in Kotabaru of
Indonesia to determine catching efficiency of double-twisted and triple-twisted
multifilament trammel nets. A total of 10 nets were constructed with the same
dimension and inner-outer mesh sizes (40-mm and 80-mm). Trials covered 160-net
hauls/type with 1-hour submersion time. The shrimps were composed of Penaeus monodon, Penaeus merguensis, Metapenalis
monoserus, Penaeus semiculatus
and Parapenaeopsis sculptilis.
A total of 142.8 kg shrimp comprises 84.46 kg (59.15%) for double-twisted and
58.34 kg (40.85%) for triple-twisted were collected over 16-daytrip sampling
period, indicating double-twisted multifilament trammel net was 45% more
efficient. The average weight of double-twisted (5.25±1.64 kg) was considerably
higher than that of triple-twisted (3.65±1.41 kg) as well as total YPUE of double-twisted (1.056±0.02 kg)
was considerably higher than that of triple-twisted (0.729±0.02 kg) (P<0.05). Some recommendations for
improving performances and efficiency of trammel nets are made, for example, by
inserting the additional bag collector along the lower part of the nets,
placing selvedge between the lead line and the net or using underwater lamps
associated with the net.
- Abdussamad, E.M. (2006). Ingression, abundance and settlement dynamics of Penaeid shrimp postlarvae in backwaters and adjacent tidal ponds in Cochin, India. Bangladesh Fisheries Research, 10(2):151-158.
- Ahmadi, Fuwa, S., Ebata, K. & Budiman, J. (2005). Comparative study on the performance of Lampara Dasar (Indonesia traditional bottom trawls). Member of Faculty Fishery Kagoshima University, 54:45-56.
- Ahmadi. (2012). Catch efficiency of low-powered incandescent light and LED light traps fishing in Barito River of Indonesia. Kasetsart University, Fisheries Research Bulletin, 36(3):1-15.
- Ahmadi & Rizani, A. (2013). Light traps fishing in Sungai Sipai flood swamp of Indonesia: Recommendations for future study. Kasetsart University Fisheries Research Bulletin, 37(2), 17-30.
- Akyol, O. (2008). Fish by-catch species from coastal small-scale shrimp trammel net fishery in the Aegean Sea (Izmir Bay, Turkey). Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 24(3):339-341. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0426.2008.01066.x
- Ayaz, A., Altinagac, U., Ozekinci, U., Ozen, O., Altin, A. & Ismen, A. (2011). Effect of twine thickness on selectivity of gillnets for bogue, Boops boops, in Turkish waters. Mediterranean Marine Science, 12(2):358-368. doi: 10.12681/mms.37
- Aydin, I., Gokce, G. & Metin, C. (2013). Using guarding net to reduce regularly discarded invertebrates in trammel net fisheries operating on seagrass meadows (Posidonia oceanica) in İzmir Bay (Eastern Aegean Sea). Mediterranean Marine Science, 14(2):282-291. doi: 10.12681/mms.425
- Backiel, T. & Welcomme, R. L. (1980). Guidelines for Sampling Fish in Inland Waters. FAO, EIFAC Technical Paper No. 33, 53 p.
- Balik, I. & Çubuk, H. (2000). Efficiency of capture of tench, Tinca tinca L. by trammel nets of monofilament and multifilament net twine combinations. Fisheries Management and Ecology, 7(6):515-521. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2400.2000.00216.x
- Balik, I. (2001). Comparison of Seasonal Catch Per Unit Efforts for Mono- and Multifilament Trammel Nets in Lake Beyehir. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 1, 17-21.
- Barko, V.A. & Hrabik, R.A. (2004). Abundance of Ohio Shrimp (Macrobrachium ohione) and Glass Shrimp (Palaemonetes kadiakensis) in the Unimpounded Upper Mississippi River. American Midland Naturalist, 151(2):265-273.
- Calado, R. & Narciso, L. (2004). An inexpensive baited trap for collecting cryptic decapod crustaceans. Crustaceana, 77(3):341-351. doi: 10.1163/1568540041181510
- Dickson, W. (1993). Estimation of the capture efficiency of trawl gear. II: Testing a theoretical model. Fisheries Research, 16(3):255-272. doi: 10.1016/0165-7836(93)90097-Q
- De Rezende, G. A., Neunfeld, A. L., Estima, S. C. & Dumont, L. F. C. (2015). Size structure of the pink shrimp, Farfantepenaeus paulensis (Pérez-Farfante, 1967) (Decapoda: Penaeoidea), in a subtropical estuary: an assessment motivated by demand from fishermen. Pan-American Journal of Aquatic Science, 10(2):105-115.
- Engas, A. & God, O. R. (1989). The effect of different sweeps on length composition of bottom sampling trawl catches. Journal du Conseil / Conseil Permanent International pour l'Exploration de la Mer, 45:263-268. doi: 10.1093/icesjms/45.3.263
- Fujimori, Y., Tokai, T., Hiyama, S. & Matuda, K. (1996). Selectivity and gear efficiency of trammel nets for kuruma prawn (Penaeus japonicas). Fisheries Research, 26:113-120. doi: 10.1016/0165-7836(95)00392-4
- Godøy, H., Furevik, D. & Lokkeborg, S. (2003). Reduced by catch of red king crab (Paralithodes camtschaticus) in the gillnet fis¬hery for cod (Gadus morhua) in northern Norway. Fisheries Research, 62:337-384. doi: 10.1016/S0165-7836(02)00281-3
- Hannah, R.W., Lomeli, M.J.M. & Jones, S.A. (2015). Tests of artificial light for bycatch reduction in an ocean shrimp (Pandalus jordani) trawl: strong but opposite effects at the footrope and near the bycatch reduction device. Fisheries Research, 170:60-67. doi: 10.1016/j.fishres.2015.05.010
- Holst, R., Wileman, D. & Madsen, N. (2002). The effects of twine thickness on the size selectivity and fishing power of Baltic cod gill nets. Fisheries Research, 56(3):303-312. doi: 10.1016/S0165-7836(01)00328-9
- Hovgard, H. & Lassen, H. (2000). Manual estimation of selectivity for gill net and longline gears in abundance surveys. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper. No. 397, 84 p.
- Hubert, W.A. (1996). Passive capture techniques. In B.R. Murphy and D.W. Willis (eds), Fisheries techniques (pp.157-192), Second edition. American Fisheries Society Bethesda, MD.
- Hunt, T.A., Ward, D.L., Propper, C.R. & Gibb, A.C. (2012). Effects of Capture by Trammel Net on Colorado River Native Fishes. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management, 3(1):133-141. doi: 10.3996/122011-JFWM-070
- Jin, B.S., Fu, C.Z., Zhong, J.S., Chen, J.K. & Wu, J.H. (2007). Effect of Fyke net mesh size and sampling period on the catch of nekton in an intertidal creek. Acta Hydriblogica Sinica, 31:39-44.
- Karlsen, L. & Bjarnason, B.A (1986). Small-scale Fishing with Driftnets. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No: 284, 64 p.
Klust, G. (1982). Netting Materials for Fishing Gear. Second edition, FAO,175p.
- Koike, M. & Matuda, K. (1988). Catching efficiency of a trammel net with different vertical slackness and mesh size of inner net. In World Symposium: on Fishing Gear and Fishing Vessel Design (pp. 468-472). Canada: Marine Institute St. John's Newfoundland. Proceeding Book.
- Matsuoka, T. (1995). Selectivity of fishing gear and its application for sustainable development of fisheries. Kagoshima University, Japan. 31 p.
- Metin, C., Gokce, G., Aydin, I. & Bayramic, I. (2009). Bycatch re¬duction in trammel net fishery for prawn (Melicertus kerathu¬rus) by using guarding net in İzmir Bay on Aegean Coast of Turkey. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 9:133-136.
- Øresland, V. (2007). Description of the IMR standard light trap and the vertical distribution of some decapod larvae (Homarus and Nephrops). Western Indian Journal of Marine Science, 6:225-231.
- Osawa, Y., Aoki, M.N., Bauer, R.T. & Thiel, M. (2015). Numbers and sizes of the shrimp Rhynchocinetes uritai Kubo, 1942 (Decapoda: Caridea) caught in bait and refuge traps. Journal of Crustacean Biology, 35(6):768-775. doi: 10.1163/1937240X-00002374
- Park, H.H., Millar, R.B., Bae, B.S., An, H.C., Chun, Y.Y., Yang, J.H. & Yoon, S.C. (2011). Size selectivity of Korean flounder (Glyptocephalus stelleri) by gillnets and trammel nets using an extension of SELECT for experiments with differing mesh sizes. Fisheries Research, 107:196-200. doi: 10.1016/j.fishres.2010.10.020
- Pauly, D. & MacLean, J. (2003). In a Perfect Ocean - The State of Fisheries and Ecosystems in the North Atlantic Ocean. Island Press, Washington, 175 p.
- Puspito, G. & Suherman, A. (2012). Effectiveness of Fluorescent Lamp on Lift Net Fishery. Journal of Applied Science Research, 8(9):4828-4836.
- Puspito, G., Thenu, I. M., Julian, D., & Tallo, I. (2015). Utilization of light-emitting diode lamp on lift net Fishery. AACL Bioflux, 8(2):159-167.
- Rakhmadevi, C.C., Purbayanto, A. & Sondita, M.F.A. (2008). Studies on Capture Process and Fish Behaviour towards Millennium Gill Net in Bondet Waters, Cirebon. Indonesian Fisheries Research Journal, 14:1-6. doi: 10.15578/ifrj.14.1.2008.1-6
- Thomas, S.N., Edwin, L. & George, V.C. (2003). Catching efficiency of gill nets and trammel nets for penaeid prawns. Fisheries Research, 60(1):141-150. doi: 10.1016/S0165-7836(02)00057-7
- Wong, B.Y., Ong, H.K.A. & Khoo, G. (2015). Length-Weight Relationships of Acetes spp. sampled along the West Coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Sains Malaysiana, 44:379-386. doi: 10.17576/jsm-2015-4403-09
- Wudianto. (1985). An Experiment on the Operation Method of Pocket Net (Jaring Kantong) in Banten water. Marine Fisheries Research Journal, No. 33. Jakarta: Marine Fisheries Research Institute.
- Wudianto, Widodo, A.P.A. & Nasution, C. (1988). The Effect of the use of monofilament twine as material of trammel net to Banana shrimp catch. Marine Fisheries Research Journal, No. 48. Jakarta: Marine Fisheries Research Institute.
- Xing, B., Qi, Y. & Lin, Z. (2015). Study on cod-end mesh selectivity of beam shrimp trawl in Panjin sea area. Fishery Modernization, 42(1):57-60.
- Zamyatina, E.A. & Semik, A.M. (2015). Studies of ichthyofauna composition as by-catch in the fyke nets during the research catch of the grass shrimp (Palaemon adspersus) in the coastal areas off the Crimean Peninsula. Proceedings of the Southern Scientific Research Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography, 53, 92-9.